"We love because it's the only true adventure."

- Nikki Giovanni


Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Story Time!

I feel like telling a story this afternoon...
I'm going to title it "Cookies."

      Do do do, riding along on the bus through the country side, our little outreach family were traveling from the Southern coast of Morocco to the desert, about halfway through outreach. Fun stuff - bus rides. Especially when the bus you're on stops for every tiny town just in case some little old man might want to hop on or off. I think at one point I had a panic moment to myself bc we were definitely in the middle of no where. Surrounded by desert landscape, and a handful of Moroccans in the seats in front of...if they had wanted to kidnap and take us far into the depths of the desert...no one would have known! ahh! Haha, but that was a passing thought and reality was Nate, Kent and Chris already liked practicing kung fo/wrestling/punching so we would've been fine (and Jesus would've helped for sure too.)

     Anyway! We finally stop for more than a minuet to get some food and use the bathroom. The line for the squatty potties was long so I knew my food decision would have to be snappy! A little fun fact: Moroccans LOVE yogurt. Every single tiny corner shop selling any type of food will have half a dozen choices at least. That was a no brainer, course I got some drinkable strawberry yogurt. I also wanted some crackers. Just a little package of maybe a dozen. Ok, so the cute little shop owner and I did not speak each others language. Typical. So smiling as much as I could I pointed to the crackers on the top of his shops shelves. It required him pulling over his ladder to climb to the very top for me. I thought I was clearly pointing to the SMALL packages...part of this was my fault, but secretly I think he wanted to get rid of this "Party Size" BOX of crackers. I just didnt have the heart to tell him to climb all the way back to the top shelf as, grinning nicely, he gave me, the naive white tourist girl, his biggest box of "Gourmet Biscuits." I laughed, slightly annoyed, all the way back to the bus...and felt completely ridiculous, and braced myself for the grief I was gonna get, esp from the boys, about the gigantic box of cookies! Of course for the rest of the bus ride, I think about 3 hours, I was the butt of all jokes, and we also made more friends because any Moroccan willing, I tried to give them at least 10 cookies! ahhaha. Oh yes, love language barriers. Now I kind of miss those cookies, even though they aren't really that tasty. THE END.
SO MANY COOKIES!! Ridiculous. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment