"We love because it's the only true adventure."

- Nikki Giovanni


Sunday, September 5, 2010

Like a big blanket is wrapped around my shoulders

John 14:21 He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father; and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.

Mary Geegh writes in "God Guides" about The Key to a God-Guided Life is Obedience

"Obedience, in little things or big things, brings an exquisite thrill. 'My joy, which no man can take from you,' says Jesus.
I was attending a conference in a village. The speaker was an Indian businessman who had worked and lived in Burma for many years. When the Japanese bombed Rangoon, he with other Indians fled for their lives. They lost everything. He had only his Bible and the suit he was wearing. He walked hundreds of miles to return to India. He said that hardships were many, but it was sweet to feel the Presence of Jesus and to have his Bible. While he was talking and giving a great witness to the people, a quick thought came to me just before I had to return to my town: 'Give him all the money in your purse.'
Well! I had to go home by train. Should I not save a bit for my train fare? Of course I had learned not to argue with God - just obey. I put all I had in an envelope and gave it to him.
Then I hurried off to catch my train. A boy was running swiftly ahead of me. When I got to the station the boy came out of the ticket office with a ticket - and gave it to me. I looked surprised! He told me he was at the meeting, saw me put the money in an envelope and give it to the speaker. Then he said, 'God told me to buy your ticket, so I ran.' The train was ready to pull out. 'Get in quickly, Amma.' So i did. The train was off; I waved to the boy. I sat there with that exquisite thrill that comes when people obey God's Plan."

This gave me shivers when I read it. Lately I have had the greatest peace, it feels like, surrounding and cushioning me. My emotions sometimes bump into me and my content heart in the Lord, and it seems like this hallowed peace pushes that away and keeps me upright and on this steep appointed path. Every morning in the red armchair at Papa John's house I sit and read this devotional "God Guides" that a friend, Joy Sechler mailed to me. I crave it at the start of every day to keep me stable and calm. After every reading I take this deep breath and feel at peace, like a big blanket is wrapped around my shoulders by a strong angel. 

This season of my life is unfolding very unpredictably, and miraculously God is blessing me with assurance beyond my nature. I always like to know whats coming, and right now I have no idea what to expect for 2011. All credit to God for the fact that I am not worried, freaking out, or stressed out of my mind!

I've noticed, like in this story, that God doesn't really make long term plans. He has eternity planned out of course, but in respect to telling us humans what's going to happen next... I feel like he really enjoys waiting until He knows that we know that the next step we take has nothing to do with some grand scheme designed by us. So far, this fall semester unfolded much better than I could've have ever imagined myself, and along with it He had calmed my spirit, and He is holding my heart. I feel completely prepared for life, because I know that He will take me places better than my wildest dreams and it will fall into place with the best timing. I am literally stress free when it comes to considering what my future holds. WOAH

No comments:

Post a Comment