God's Spirit Bears Witness Within: A.W.Tozer
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit...after the tradition of men...and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8
"When I was a young Christian I had my Bible and a hymnbook and a few other books, including Andrew Murray and Thomas a' Kempis and I got myself educated as well as I could by reading books, I read the philosophy of all the great minds - and many of those men did not believe in God, you know-and they did not believe in Christ.
I remember reading White's Warfare of Science with Christianity, and if any man can read that and still say he is saved, he isn't saved by his reading; he is saved by the Holy Ghost within him telling him that he is saved!
Do you know what I would do after I would read a chapter or two and find arguments that I could not possibly defeat? I would get down on my knees and with tears I would thank God with joy that no matter what the books said, 'I know Thee, my Saviour and my Lord!'
I didn't have it in my head- I had it in my heart! There is a great difference, you see.
If we have it only in our heads, then philosophy may be of some help to us; but if we have it in our hearts there is not much philosophy can do except stand aside reverently, hat in hand, and say. ' Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty!'
In short, if you have to be reasoned into Christianity, some wise fellow can reason you out of it, as well!"
I think the most moving part of Tozer's excerpt from his devotional "Renewed Day by Day" is when he unashamedly admits to crying, laid out on the floor before God. I cry all the time when I talk to God. He moves me to tears, often times if someone were to ever be with me i wouldn't be able to explain why I was crying except that, in awe of the Lord my spirit is moved deeply. I cannot say that I find philosophy especially intriguing to become involved with, and I have no desire to debate and work through thoughts by spilling them out in front of people to be obliterated and destroyed. No, no, I much prefer to ponder things on my own and asked much trusted mentors in my life about deep philosophical dilemmas.
But! I was encouraged by Tozer's confession to not knowing all the answers. He was stumped! How I do respect his willingness to admit that, instead of speaking in circles and blowing out hot air.
I took an ethics class last semester, honestly I could have made an A....but towards the end of the year my desire to read the dry material vanished. However, I went to class, sat on the second row...and pretended three times a week to be thinking intently on the controversial topic and shift in my seat enough to imply that I was about to say something... and that I was intellectually stimulated. Well, I take that back, I was intellectually stimulated, but any retort that would come out of my mouth sounded completely elementary and needed the half asleep punk in the back of the room to shout "Thank you captain obvious!" I am completely NOT gifted in the area of argumentation when it comes to logic. I know I believe in pro-life, in God, and I disagree with euthanasia etc. To have me compare various arguments and dissect multiple theories just made my brain hurt, my eyes go crossed, and despair fill my heart. I really have no skill! I know what I know and believe what I believe because of the Holy Spirit convicting my moral compass to point north. Anyway, that class frustrated me like White's writing frustrated Tozer. I was road blocked sometimes, but only because my brain couldn't figure things out enough to explain it to twisted philosophical thinkers.
My dad has reassured me in the past that there are many benefits to begin people smart instead of merely book smart. We live in a book-smart-matters-more-than-anything-else world, so its hard to convince myself sometimes that my SAT scores don't determine the course of my LIFE! And really, they don't really if you're made to be a people person, and honestly, following the Lord may take me away from mind boggling logical arguments and academics stressed so much in our society.
To finish, I do love reading the toned down version of Tozer's deep thoughts in his daily devotional, as I do love "My Utmost for His Highest" and "Knowing God," and scores of other books that challenge me to ponder, and contemplate; that push my thinking of God, life, and the universe forward! Capisce?!
No comments:
Post a Comment