"We love because it's the only true adventure."

- Nikki Giovanni


Sunday, October 10, 2010

Robust!

God was First to Say, 'You Are My Friends" - A.W.Tozer - Renewed Day by Day


Greater man hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13


"The idea of the divine-human friendship originated with God. Had not God first said "Ye are my friends" it would be inexcusably brash for any man to say 'I am a friend of God.'


But since He claims us for His friends it is an act of unbelief to ignore or deny the relationship!


Even though radically different from each other, two persons may enjoy the closest friendship that the participants be alike in all things; it is enough that they be alike at the points where their personalities touch. Harmony is likeness at points of contact, and friendship is likeness where hearts merge.


For this reason the whole idea of the divine-human friendship is logical enough and entirely credible. The infinite God and the finite man can merge their personalities in the tenderest, most satisfying friendship. In such relationship there is no idea of equality; only of likeness where the heart of man meets the heart of God!


This likeness is possible because God at the first made man in His own image and is now remaking men in the image that was lost by sin. Perfection lies on God's side but on man's side there are weaknesses of purpose, lack of desire and small faith.


In spite of human frailties we can grow in grace and move progressively toward a more perfect experiential union with God, exercising robust faith in the truths revealed in the Scriptures!"


I really have nothing to say or really add to this. It blew me away the first time I read it,  and I have been rereading it for the past week, mulling over the power in Tozer's words.  If you read the last post you know I have come to a place in my life where the Lord has removed me from the beaten path and with excitement grabbed my hand as He starts a new pace on a new narrow trail.  Yes His excitement is contagious, but I have to admit...I am a bit of an Eyore at times. I think, purely out of ignorance. I just complain when I can't see what's up ahead. I've had to re-teach myself to stop making long term plans. Those always fall through, mostly because I was the leader of those imagined, potential escapades, not God. Today I told someone I wasn't planning beyond the spring semester yet simply because God has taught me to wait for Him..


So on my current path so far.. God is my friend. I love it when Tozer writes: The infinite God and the finite man can merge their personalities in the tenderest, most satisfying friendship. That touches my heart. 


My friends are dear to me. They are also far away from me. God has decided, I think, that this section of "The Kathryn Trail"  (haha, i know it's cheesey) is more of a two person ascent of a ridge line. Can't really see anything except dense trees, with the hope of a beautiful view at the top...and God has me in step behind Him. I know so many of my friends have large groups of people surrounding them daily with joy, encouragement and love. I've decided they're on day hike type thing. Lots of people fellowshipping with each other, the Lord leading the way to the overlook where they'll rejoice together at the beauty and faithfulness of the Lord, but eventually they'll take God's hand singularly and trudge onward. Course all hikes are different, maybe mine will be a day hike excursion soon. If not that's God guidance. 


I also love the combination of words Tozer uses when he says "exercising robust faith in the truths revealed in the Scriptures!" ROBUST - say it out loud! its so fun! I think of.... like Beauty and the Beast! and how the beast was transformed into a handsome ROBUST prince! robust faith, I still have to decided what the looks and feels like. 


So "The Kathryn Trail" has been really strenuous today, so I over and out you little hikers! haha( i think my analogies need some help)


PS: I really enjoyed Tozer's passage too because he used exclamation points after a ton of his profound sentences! Yessss they're my fav!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment